Read this before you fly again!
Geschreven door Tiany Kiriloff
I absolutely adore discovering new places on this planet, but I must admit that the travelling part can often be a burden! I also dislike packing, as I’d rather just take my entire wardrobe with me, just for the sake of having enough options at my destination.
So when life gives you lemons you make a tasty lemonade and try to find the most convenient way to get from point A to point B. And trust me there are ways, it’s just a matter of searching, a search that I hereby wish to spare you from.
I jump on at least 3 international flights per year and after ages of travelling on multiple airlines –alone and in the good company of hubby and kids- I have managed to learn a couple of things and hereby would love to share my conclusions.
I am an Air France enthusiast… there I said it! I love Le French (even the arrogant ones) and somehow believe that Paris is the center of the world, meaning that you can reach any destination from the ever so cosmopolite Charles de Gaulle airport (yes they have Gucci and Hermès and macarons!). So for years now I’ve been hopping on a train in Brussels Midi and hopping on a flight in Paris. Easy Peasy! It’s called Air & Rail and that pretty much means that you check in at the train station in Brussels. You then jump on a train, arrive in Paris and you just board. Ok customs and a stop at Gucci are somewhere in between, but no check-in counters in Paris are involved which means saving some precious time to shop. Another reason for my Air France addiction is that they also serve champagne in coach… the French really know how to nail it when it comes to being chic!
Further flying experience/knowledge
- Obviously it’s easy to book a flight via the Air France site but I’m still a traditional girl and like to book via an agency as agents can have good contacts with the airlines, which might result in better seats.
- Stick to one airline, as this offers you the possibility of accumulating air miles: this means all types of advantages. At Air France for instance you can buy all types of travel goodies via their online shop with your earned miles. Saved miles can also offer you the possibility of travelling more comfortably, meaning more luggage or perhaps getting admitted to the airline lounge. It can also lead to treating yourself to an upgrade and travelling the super chic way!
Upgrades do not happen that very often anymore, but sometimes luck is just around the corner. With these little tricks in mind, your trip might just get even more awesome!
- Dress well, be kind and be polite. Having good manners is something people remember and if you dress the part it might just help you get places too.
- Fly the same airline as much as you can, being a loyal customer is always an advantage and will get rewarded at a certain point.
- Check your mails (yes subscribe to newsletters), as Air France tends to offer very affordable upgrades when possible.